College life is an exciting and transformative experience for many young adults as they embark on a new journey of independence and self-discovery. For most college students, moving into dorms is a big part of the college experience, and preparing for life in a dorm room can be daunting. With the 2023 – 2024 school year just around the corner, it’s important for new college students to be equipped with the ultimate college packing checklist to ensure they have everything they need to thrive in their new environment. From bedding and storage solutions to desk supplies and personal items, there are a variety of essentials that every college student should bring to college. In this article, we will provide a comprehensive list to help college students prepare for their move to the dorms and make the transition to college life as smooth and stress-free as possible.
- Mattress Pad
- Extras of each
- Shower caddy pack with essentials like shampoo, body wash, etc…
- Flip flops for the shower
- Bath towels and wash cloths
- First aid kit, just incase!
- Laundry Detergent
- Pens, Pencils, and Highlighters
- Post-it notes
- Calendar to easily prioritize your time.
- Laptop or Tablet
- A backpack of course!
- Multi-purpose cleaner like Lysol or Mr. Clean
- Disinfectant Wipes
- Paper Towels
- Trash Bags
- Broom and Vacuum
- Bathroom Cleaners
- Dish Soap and Sponge
Food and Kitchen Supplies
- Any of your favorite go-to foods!
- Small pot and Sauce pan
- Skillet or Frying pan
- Spatula and Tongs
- Cutting board and Knife
- Mixing Bowls
- Colander or Strainer
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Plates, Bowls, and Cups
- Microwave Safe Containers
College Move-In Day Checklist
Are you feeling overwhelmed about what to bring to college move-in day? Don’t worry, we have got you covered! We have compiled a packing list to help you stay organized and ensure that you have all the essential items you will need for your new adventure. By following this checklist and being prepared with these items, you’ll be well-equipped to tackle college move-in day with ease.
- Invest in a good Tool Kit to assemble furniture.
- Don’t forget to bring a Box Cutter or Scissors.
- You’ll need Tape.
- Dolly to move furniture and heavy boxes will make life easier.
- Storage Containers for dorm room storage.
- Water bottle to stay hydrated!
College Dorm Room Essentials
Heading off to college and moving into a dorm room is an exciting time in anyone’s life, and it’s important to make sure you’re well-prepared for this new chapter. To help you get ready, we’ve put together a list of items to bring with you as you start shopping for your dorm room.
- Laundry Bin
- Desk Lamp
- Power Strip or Extension Cord
- Storage Bins
- Trash Cans
- TV or Streaming device
- Coffee Machine (Check out our blog on the best way to brew coffee at home.)
Make Your Dorm Room Feel Like Home
While it’s a good idea to embrace the new opportunities and experiences that come with college life, you also may want to consider ways to make your new dorm room feel like home. Bringing items from home can be especially important for creating a comfortable and welcoming environment that can make your college life a little easier as well as putting up some dorm decor. You may also make it more comfortable for guests if you ever want to plan a holiday party. In the following checklist, we will explore a variety of ways to make your dorm room feel like a home away from home.
- Display personal items like photos and artworks.
- Invest in cool and fun lighting.
- Bring Rugs, Curtains, and move furniture around to make your living space as comfortable as possible.
- Don’t forget to showcase your hobbies, have the guitar or skateboard on display to make the room feel like it’s yours.